Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Is the Trump Rally a Financial Bubble or Real Growth?



Trump has been taking credit for the rapidly rising stock market, which Wall Street has termed the "Trump Rally." The rally, and the boom in the capital market that followed the 2008 financial crisis, is deceptive, and does not really reflect any meaningful economic growth. It, indeed, hides the real problem that inflict the US economy, the increasingly excessive greed that plagues the financial market and the business conglomerates that  seem to be more interested in creating private wealth than growing the economy. The problem is not limited to the US but has a global dimension.

The moderate improvement in the economy in the seven years that passed since the financial crisis of 2008 is mainly connected to the recovery in stock prices and financial growth. The stock market recovery is achieved by accumulating more debts, both public and private. The US national debt has doubled since Barak Obama took office in 2009. US debt currently exceeds the annual Gross Domestic Product (GDP), reaching $19 Trillion in 2016. Servicing this enormous debt cost the taxpayer around $240 billion, and amount that exceeds the federal allocation for education, health, social security, and transportation combined. Corporate Debt currently exceeds $51 Trillion, and has been on the rise, and has more than doubled since 2006, and is projected to reach $75 Trillion by 2020.
The so-called "Trump Rally" that began few weeks prior to Trump taking office has been very impressive, amounting to 13% overall increase in stock market value, but in many ways it is a financial bubble, similar to the one took place shortly before the 1999 financial crash, better known as the "Dot Com Bubble." Indeed the rally has nothing to do with Trump. It is purely an effort by leading financial centers to avoid a necessary financial correction, for fear that such correction would drag the capital market all the way to the ground.
The “Trump Rally” bubble is evident. Rise in stock prices is not supported by corporate earnings or GDP. Earnings and GDP have been on the decline since 2015, making stock prices overly speculative and unsustainable. For instance, forward earnings are on average 24 times greater than real earnings. What makes the situation even worse is that increase in corporate earnings in the interim years of 2012-2015 is driven not by rise of innovation, sale, or productivity, but by an aggressive money supply scheme.
The aggressive money lending program pushed by federal banks is promoted under the rubric of “Quantitative Easing.” The federal system has made available 3.5 Trillion for borrowing at a very low rate, and company have used much of this amount not to expand their operations, but to buy back their own stocks. The aggressive buyback was then translated by deceptive accounting methods into an increase of earnings of companies that spent their borrowed money in financial speculation.
The real engine of global growth has been fueled in the last three decades the breathtaking growth of the Chinese economy.   But China, which has enjoyed an annual growth of 9-15%, compared to 2-3% for USA, is currently facing serious economic slowdown, and has dropped in 2016 to 5-6% growth rate. The Chinese economy has finally caught with the slow global economic growth, and China, like most advanced economy, is now faced with a staggering corporate debt that exceed $18 Trillion, or 250% the country GDP. The debt problem is no more an American problem, but is also a world problem. Global debt totals currently amount to $250 Trillion, of which $150 Trillion is a public debt, and $150 Trillion private. The total global debt is almost 325% of the combined annual value of global products.
No real plan has been put anywhere to address the debt problem by any national or international body. The world economy is currently so interconnect in both the capital and labor markets, and any disturbance for the fragile international system could produce an economic crisis of global proportion. The current administration seems to be completely oblivious to dangers of the reckless tinkering with the economy in the reactive and free-floating style of Mr. Trump. The president responsible for the largest economy has been busy closing American borders in the face of legal immigrants, and threatening tariff war to force US companies to adopt a mercantilist-type economics. If his threats come to fruition, we will soon witness sharp shrinking of the global market, and the onslaught of a new recession with serious consequences for both the economy and society.

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

I reаd this post fully ⲟn the topic of the difference of newest
and preceding technologies, it's awesome articⅼe.
her latest blog : HÖ…w Not To á’ªock Files

Anonymous said...

Good day! Do you use Twitter? I'd like to follow you if that would be okay.
I'm undoubtedly enjoying your blog and look forward to new posts.

Anonymous said...

I couldn't refrain from commenting. Very well written!

Anonymous said...

Hi it's me, I am also visiting this website daily, this
website is in fact good and the people are in fact sharing pleasant thoughts.

Anonymous said...

Wow, fantastic blog format! How long have you been running a blog for?

you make running a blog look easy. The entire look of your site is excellent, as smartly as the
content!

Anonymous said...

I'm truly enjoying the design and layout of your website. It's a very easy on the eyes which makes
it much more enjoyable for me to come here and visit more often. Did you hire out
a designer to create your theme? Fantastic work!

Anonymous said...

Neat blog! Is your theme custom made or did you download
it from somewhere? A theme like yours with a few simple
tweeks would really make my blog stand out. Please let me know
where you got your design. Bless you

Anonymous said...

My brother suggested I might like this blog.

He was entirely right. This post truly made my day.
You cann't imagine simply how much time I had spent for this information! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

When someone writes an post he/she retains the plan of a user in his/her brain that how a user can know it.
So that's why this paragraph is great. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Magnificent beat ! I wish to apprentice while you amend your web site, how could i subscribe for a
blog site? The account aided me a acceptable deal. I had been a little bit acquainted of this
your broadcast provided bright clear idea

Anonymous said...

I like the valuable info you supply to your articles.
I'll bookmark your blog and take a look at again here frequently.
I'm rather certain I will be informed many new stuff proper right here!
Best of luck for the next!

Anonymous said...

Thank you a bunch for sharing this with all of us you really realize what you're speaking about!

Bookmarked. Kindly also consult with my web site =).

We may have a link change contract between us

Anonymous said...

I think everything published made a ton of sense. However, what about this?

suppose you added a little information? I mean, I don't want to tell you how to run your website, however what if you added something to maybe get people's attention?
I mean "Is the Trump Rally a Financial Bubble or Real Growth?" is kinda vanilla.
You should glance at Yahoo's home page and see how they create post titles to grab people interested.
You might try adding a video or a related pic or two to
get readers interested about what you've got to say.
In my opinion, it might bring your website a little bit more interesting.

Anonymous said...

I do not even know how I ended up here, but I thought this post was great.
I don't know who you are but certainly you're going to a famous blogger if
you aren't already ;) Cheers!

Anonymous said...

I have fun with, result in I discovered exactly what I used
to be taking a look for. You've ended my 4 day long hunt!

God Bless you man. Have a nice day. Bye

Anonymous said...

Howdy! Do you use Twitter? I'd like to follow you if that would be okay.
I'm definitely enjoying your blog and look forward to new updates.

Anonymous said...

This is very interesting, You are a very skilled blogger.

I have joined your rss feed and look forward to seeking more of your
great post. Also, I have shared your website in my social networks!

Anonymous said...

of course like your website but you need to check the spelling on quite
a few of your posts. A number of them are rife with spelling problems and I to
find it very bothersome to inform the truth however I will surely come back again.

Anonymous said...

Everything iis very oplen with a very clear explanation of thee challenges.

It wwas really informative. Your website is extremely helpful.
Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Hey there! I could have sworn I've been to this site before but after checking through some of the post I realized
it's new to me. Anyways, I'm definitely delighted I found it and I'll be bookmarking and checking back often!